Plink...plop....plinkity plop....
That, my friends, is the sound of my brain cells falling out over the past sixteen years, nine months. All you mother's out there can relate to the "forgetfulness" that prevails with pregnancy, yet I have found that it has continued well into the teen years of raising our boys. That is why there has been fear and trepidation in my life whenever I considered going back to school.
I did it ! After weeks of trying to get registered online and let's face it a bit of dragging my feet, I drove up to the school yesterday for my first official class. As I drove around looking for a parking space, here and there I weaved through the sea of still cars, saying a prayer to God, asking, "is this the sign that I should not be here, that you have closed the door on this new chapter?" Then, there was an open spot, one where I could make a quick get away afterward ! Slowly I made my way into the building, my heart, somewhat pounding, praying all the way. I went into the room and it was a joy to see other "older" people, only one or two and I am sure I am the oldest in the class. That is fine because hopefully with age, I have become a bit more wise. The teacher, professor, I am not quite sure how to address him yet, passed out the syllabus and a paper asking about our musical background and what our goals were with music. I delved into the depths of my purse to grab a pen and started to write my answers. I took a deep breath to try and calm my hand that was shaking as though it were a leaf in the breeze on an autumn day and began writing.
As I thought about how the first class may play out, I figured it was a college class and they are not going to want to hear anything about us. I was wrong.... The teacher wanted to know why we were in the class. I sat there thinking "Oh great, really! I have to speak on the first day, in front of everyone!". Many people were in there because they had taught themselves guitar and wanted some musical knowledge. One student said he had the knowledge but was just getting back into school and wanted to get his feet wet in a subject that he could handle. Same here! I told them I was involved in two choirs, study voice privately, and am going to be working toward a music degree. Wow, I said it out loud to people other than my family and my voice teacher ! Overall it was a good day in class, I didn't die, I didn't break into tears, and I even gave the sniffly kid in front of me a tissue. (He probably thought, oh great what's with this old lady :0) )
This is going to be a new adventure in our lives, especially mine ! I am looking forward to it and what God has in store for me.
TTFN, Margaret
No comments:
Post a Comment