Monday, August 27, 2012

Just a mom....

  I was listening to the radio in the car after dropping our youngest off at his first day of "school" last week.  As I started the car and got on the road, I turned on Focus on the Family.  There was a woman who was talking about motherhood and how we look at it as more of a chore than anything.  She started talking about how when someone would ask her what she did, she would say "I am just a mom".
  How many times have I done that.  Said, "I am just a mom" or thought those very words silently to myself,  as if it were a bad thing.  You see, as an adolescent,  I had all these grand ideas of what I was going to be and do when I grew up, but God definitely had a different idea for my life.  For sixteen years I have been a mom, the hardest job I have ever or will ever do, also the most rewarding.  God makes no mistakes and in His sovereignty He put this family together.  God knows me so well, that He gave me all boys.  Oh, don't get me wrong, there are times that I feel as though I am the one person in the history of man that God decided to play a joke on by giving me three, completely and utterly different boys !
   Being a mom is more than just changing diapers and providing meals.  It about instilling God's truth in our children, teaching right from wrong, teaching them to love and care for others, to respect others.  Teaching them to respect authority.  Not to mention, as a home school family, the educational side of it.  Who can forget attempting to instill responsibility.  
   I am a mom and it is the most important thing I will ever attempt in life.    When I look at my children, I am happy to be just a mom.  They are great boys, not perfect mind you, but they are good kids that have good hearts.  God is working on them just as He is on me, and I, as a mother, need to keep that in mind.
 
   For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.   Eph. 2:10

No comments:

Post a Comment